Monday, June 25, 2012

When Being Busy Gets Ridiculous

Being active is good! Being active keeps us alert and engaged. Life, if you have one, is busy anyway. We all have obligations we must tend to in addition to doing those things that give us pure enjoyment. Then something happens. We start to complain about all of the things that we have to get done. We start to gripe about the places we have to go to. We whine about the “duties” we’ve agreed to accept. Here is a perfect resolution for that. How about we stop agreeing to be involved in everything, in every group, in every club! How about we stop accepting every invite and “rsvp-ing” for two! I view giving time just as significant as giving green (green=money). I enjoy giving both. But I don’t know anyone who will give money until they don’t have enough left to take care of themselves. Even the richest person, that person with long money, is not giving all of their dollars away. Do you get the idea? Our time should be treated the same way. Unless you have a double, you can’t be in more than one place at one time. If people are asking you to give your time for whatever reason, and you find it is not feasible according to your schedule, you can decline the invite, you can say NO. (By the way, don’t fret about how people will react to your rebuff. That is not your problem. Look for further discussion on this in another post.) What is the point of agreeing to something, knowing you really do not have the time? You will end up dreading what you agreed to. You’ll end up asking yourself, “why did I agree to this?” or “why am I here?” or here’s my favorite, “what was I thinking?” Also, we get involved in so much that we forget to even set time out for ourselves! I get the feeling some may disagree with me on this, but that time out for you, is a necessity, not a luxury. It’s so important to me that I take time out for myself, that I make it an appointment on my calendar! Being “on the go” makes life even more eventful. But, if you find yourself fuming about being busy, try asking yourself if all that you are involved in has good reason…that’s of priority. (Only you can define a priority in your life and what is not. Don’t let others define that for you.) If you don’t find an answer to that question, then perhaps some of your “busy” is just brainless. Maybe it’s time to drop some “obligations” out of the line-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment