Thursday, June 14, 2012

Good Luck?..No Thanks

That saying has always been unnerving to me.  When people say that phrase, for the most part, there is no malicious intent behind it. But, it sounds like a phrase you say, when you don’t know what to say, but have to say something to avoid an awkward moment. “Webster” tells me that luck is “the force that operates for good or ill in a person’s life, as in shaping circumstances, events, and opportunities, considered a result of chance.” Excuse me “Webster”, but I’d like to believe that all of my hard work, the disappointments, and sleep deprivation, and not simply chance, have opened and will open doors for me.  I’d like to believe that my efforts have cultivated my success grounds. Otherwise, if simple luck is all I need, then I might as well get my beauty sleep! Life will interrupt the most precise of plans and turn them upside down. I have learned that being flexible is essential. I have had to readjust to make my plans harmonize once again. After all of this “readjusting” and “harmonizing”, there has to be more than just luck behind curtain 1, 2, and 3! Good luck just does not seem to match my efforts. I need favor, a phenomenon! Someone said to me, “Tamara (in a disapproving tone), you can’t tell people to not tell you good luck.” Let me think. Maybe saying, “Don’t tell me good luck,” could make me appear starchy and rude, especially to someone who really wants to wish me all the best. So, to replace “Good Luck”, how about saying, “Best Wishes?”  That works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment