Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Perfection Quickie

I often hear people say “Don’t try and be perfect, just do your best.” I’ve also heard, “Perfection is too much pressure.” So, when did perfection become such an unenthusiastic notion? To me, when you give your best at what you do, it is the same as reaching for perfection. I don’t believe in doing anything haphazardly, regardless of how big or small the task is. I believe when you do something, you should do everything you can to get the task done RIGHT. I get the feeling that some people will turn perfection into something negative when they need to find an excuse for either not completing their task or the task turning into something frightful. The search for an excuse begins because they know the task was not handled to the best of their ability. Instead of saying, “This task didn’t meet expectations because I didn’t do all that I needed to do,” they say, “Oh well, I’m not perfect.” Side Note: Consider that the effort you put into accomplishing a job is a reflection of you. Let me point out, I do feel the notion of perfection becomes a problem when it develops into obsession. Of course, after we’ve completed something, we will always notice what could have been done differently or better. That’s inevitable. We can take what we’ve learned and apply it to our next mission. That’s good for us! However, it is not healthy when we become gripped by everything that we could’ve done differently. But, when we know we have made all the proper preparations and put all of our sweat into completing that task, we can be confident that we gave our absolute best.  We can be confident in that, regardless of the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment