Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Damned Debbie Downer!



     The end of the year seems to spark a “List of My Flaws” review session, which then prompts a 20-page list of “Things I Need to Do to Be a Better Person”!  I have listened to and read how people are focusing on a laundry list of every flaw they have; every imperfection; every stupid decision they’ve made. I’m not saying we should live haphazardly and ignore doing things that will give us more patience, more wisdom, and/or more courage. What I am saying is that we don’t need to carry our flaws on our shoulders. We certainly don’t need to carry them to our New Year’s Eve parties either! Buzz kill!
      Every day we have life, we are reminded of our flaws. It’s one thing to be honest with ourselves about what areas we can improve on, make daily steps toward improvement, own our progress, and move on. But, it’s another thing to own our flaws, and instead of recognizing our steps to improve ourselves, we turn our flaws into a depressing song that we replay in our heads; either because our new and improved selves didn’t fully manifest within a certain time frame or because we think if we pay too much attention to our “non-flaws” then, somehow, we aren’t becoming better people.  
     One year I had a friend send a holiday postcard to her family and friends. On the front of the card was her picture and the on the back, she listed her accomplishments and changes she made for that year. Now that’s how you do a year-end review of yourself!
     Review every good decision you made. Review your progress. Don’t negate that progress by saying, “I did this/that well, but I almost messed up and I still need to work on…”NO! Don’t do it. Don’t be a damned Debbie Downer on yourself! Move on to the next fabulous thing about you.
2017..In all of our gloriousness, we are coming for you!

2 comments:

  1. I try not to be a Debbie Downer! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tamu Talks Blog!! Being a Debbie Downer can be a complete buzz kill!! I have to remind myself also!

      Delete