Tuesday, December 18, 2012

CT.

I know I said I would not address news because I wanted to keep my blog "light"...but this time I have to. You don't have to be a parent to have shed tears over the tragedy in Connecticut. We have all said the same thing, "I don't understand how someone could have done this" or "I don't understand how this could have happened."  I've decided I'm not going to try and understand how or why this happened. A link to this story was sent to my email. Soon after I read it, I was sitting at my niece's Christmas program. I watched my niece, dressed in her Christmas red, walk confidently to her spot on the bleachers. She stood there smiling and carefree, waiting for her cue from the "music teacher" to begin singing. I looked at all of the faces of the other children: innocent, some wearing reindeer antlers, some dressed as elves, some waiving to their family members, some talking to each other instead of singing, some standing still and poised, some who couldn't stand still. I thought about those families who babies were taken from them. The day probably started out as a normal school day. No one even imagining their day would end like it did. Those children will never sing in a Christmas program. They will never get to open their Christmas presents they were anticipating. All over the world, people have created memorials for the victims. I saw children who released yellow balloons to honor the slain. I heard one of the children say, "I believe something good can come out of this." This statement reinforces the innocence of children. I admire that child's belief in the "something good."  Right now I question the good that can come from this. Where is it??

No comments:

Post a Comment